Sunday, February 17, 2008

But at the Market, isn't it Spelled "McIntosh"?

I now has a Macbook. w3rd!
To anyone who has tried them both:  I ask whether you prefer Word 2008 or iWork's Pages '08?  Same goes, to a lesser extent, for the other Office vs iWorks components.

Leopard rocks, so much so that it is a worthy point of procrastination to mention it at midnight when I still have a paper left to write....

Addendum:


After using Pages (iWork’s wordprocessor) some more, I have to say, it’s nice, but because it uses it’s own format, I find myself still saving in .DOC format a lot in order to port my files between systems, and saving to other formats sucks.

If you save as a Word .DOC…

  1. It’s not just another possible format to select in the save dialog… oh no. You’re not saving the file, apparently, you’re exporting it. Different rules apply, and you can’t just hit option-S.

  2. I don’t think it does autosaves to DOC format.

  3. Even when you haven’t modified the file, it say that the file has changed, and ask you to save it again. Gets very annoying when you just saved it. This is another reason I think it doesn’t autosave.


So basically it treats DOC as an alien format, and different rules apply. Very similar to Photoshop’s “Save a Copy” option.

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried iWork. I use MS office because that is what everyone else I work with uses. I have to stay compatible. But I've heard good things about iWork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using Open Office on both my PC's and my Mac and as far and while I've never used the I-works suite, Open Office has all the functionality of the MS Office Suite without all the BS, or cost for that matter. Plus, it's fully compatible with the MS Suite; not sure if it's compatible with the I-Works suite by Apple though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used OOO (OpenOffice.Org) too, and yeah, it's good except for Excel charts, and had problems supporting some of the advanced revisioning features of Word last time I checked.

    ReplyDelete